justbuch1

Another person going freelane as a technical illustrator

I am sure this is taboo, but I have absolutely no idea what to charge for my services. Anything general is fine. I have been a technical illustrator/writer for about 9 years, however; I am finally breaking into freelance. I use AutoCAD 2010, and I have very strong 3D CAD skills. I have an Associate of Applied Science degree in Architectural Commercial Design. Most of my experience lies in the Mechanical side though. I am currently creating my own website, and I plan to promote my mechanical and architectural 3D illustrations.
Aside from illustrating, I also excel at giving step-by-step instructions, which I will promote in my website. I am currently getting certified as a technical writer, plus I have 2 other technical writing course under my belt.
I understand charges change per job, but if any information that would be helpful.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you very much

clint

Re: Another person going freelane as a technical illustrator

I don't know if it's always a good idea to box yourself into one rate.
Sometimes I charge depending on the type of work and how bad I want the work so it can vary. I'm sure others will chime in with more helpful information. I don't freelance full time but when I do my rate is somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 bucks an hour. If I was full time it would probably be more.
Have you checked the graphic artists guild book? That's a good place to start.
There's this, although I am not sure how great it is.
http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

JamesProvost

Have a look at this article:
http://technicalillustrators.org/2009/1 ... ustration/

Let us know when your website goes up!

justbuch1

Clint,
Sorry this has taken a week for me to get back, but no I haven't checked the grapics arts guild book. I was not aware that it existed. I will, definitely, take a look though. Thanks, for posting the link also. It is very much appreciated.

jamesprovost,
I will check your article, also. Hopefully, this will give me a good start.

Thank you both very much for the info. I will, definitely, let you know when the website is up.

Return to “General”