matt_lorenzi

Favorite subject matter to illustrate - personal projects

Okay, third thread started in as many days. I'm finding this site a great resource and a source of inspiration.

What are some of the favorite subject poeple like to illustrate/draw/sketch as personal projects? Ideally I'm sure we'd like to get paid for working only in the fields we love, but let's say that's unrealistic. So then, what do you guys like to focus on when you have free time?

I like the look and design of audiophile equipment; there is some great industrial design in the sector and it's pretty fun to recreate.
I also like sailing vessels of all shapes and sizes. If I could have my way I would love to render classic wooden boats all day....one can dream.

matt_lorenzi

Re: Favorite subject matter to illustrate - personal project

14 views, but no comments...come on people. ;)

matt_lorenzi

Anyone try an illustration straight from a model? I'd like to try my hand at one of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AW_EH101.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EH101_JMSDF.jpg
Sorry, my attempt at embedding didn't take.

JamesProvost

I'm really interested in "what's next," whatever I feel is the next cutting edge technology.

Right now, I'm into green tech and augmented reality. I've been working on an AR piece that may be ready to share soon.

As an added bonus, "what's next" often becomes "what's hot" as experiments and research become consumer products. As a result, I already have some promo materials and familiarity with the subject matter when the work starts rolling in.

@Matt I'd say audiophile equipment manufacturers definitely have a budget for illustration, considering what they charge. Snake Oil always needs a great label ;)

clint

when I have time I will probably get back to drawing some cars.
Last edited by clint on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jhatch

I try to take on work that I enjoy when possible to serve both needs.
Last edited by jhatch on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stevenwhoward

My favorite thing to illustrate are cutaways of science fiction tech. There is virtually no need, if ever, for this as a job and only recently was I starting to do a cutaway of one of my friend's exo-suit designs before a poorly prepared for computer crash and getting a contract job. I enjoy the job I have now as I finally got my foot into the door of professional illustration, but if I'm ever able to recover my old dead harddrive or have time to cutaway other sci-fi tech I'll be happy. :D I love technical things and seeing how they work or what makes them work, but the fun for me in sci-fi "technical" illustrations is that there is a bit more liberty involved in creating what makes it tick. That is why two of my favorite illustrators are Richard Chasemore and Hans Jenssen (the illustrators for the Star Wars Cross-sections books).
I figure doing work as a technical illustrator for the next many years will help me not only refine my skill as an artist, but also grow my engineering and technical knowledge (which is very small compared to most technical illustrators) to help aid in producing the illustration I enjoy doing most. I might not earn anything from producing sci-fi cutaways on the side, but to me, they are the most enjoyable things for me to create. Someday I hope to have the right to produce cutaways of some of the famous movie icons like the Iron Man suit or the vehicles from Minority Report or The Island. :)

Don Cheke

My favorite things to illustrate are product graphics where I combine 3D models with accompanying text and other elements. I often use Photoshop and Illustrator to compile the work. I have attached some that I was quite pleased with. I also really enjoy creating assembly instructions.
Attachments
Screen0065.jpg
Screen0064.jpg
Screen0063.jpg

matt_lorenzi

Really nice work that RC engine Don.

Return to “General”