matt_lorenzi

Perspective Grid with Illustrator

Anyone have much experience with the perspective grid in Illustrator?

I can see it being a useful tool for mapping 2D artwork to the associated perspective pane.
That said, it can be a bit tricky at first. I'm using an image in the perspective I want to set up my grid and will then attempt to redraw the image by mapping to the panes. Yes, I could TRACE the desired perspective image, but I can get much more detail illustration the side view then mapping afterwards. Plus I need the practice :)

Any tips or ticks out there?

clint

Re: Perspective Gride with Illutrator

I've been using it more and more to help me decide the best angles to draw in.
Recently someone sent me some work where they had already drawn side, front and rear views of a product and I was able to map a lot of it onto my perspective grid to save some drawing time.
I found this adobe video pretty helpful.
https://my.adobeconnect.com/_a295153/p2 ... ode=normal

matt_lorenzi

Re: Perspective Grid with Illustrator

I am struggling with this. I think if you have a clearly defined perspective and can "map" the grid to that perspective you're set. However, if you're working with some grey area and can really nail down the origin it can be difficult. It probably also has something to do with not having worked with defined perspectives that much....practice!

JamesProvost

That's a great video, Clint. I hadn't given the tool much time or attention, but now I could see how it'd be useful.

Matt, if you want to post an example image, I wouldn't mind trying to figure out a solution.

matt_lorenzi

Hi James,

I am working on a concept for a secured cargo bag that would sit in the back bench of this truck.
I have dimension for the bag, however it follows the contours of the bench. As in it is more than just a simple rectangle. The bag sit on the bench and have a section that sits down where your feet would be.
So basically having trouble determining where to put the origin of my perspective grid. My thought is that you want to use the closet outside edge, starting at the ground level. I think it is of guess work; set your grid and map an object then see how it looks....then adjust the grid ant try again.

Here is the truck imagine I am mapping to:
Attachments
ford.jpg

JamesProvost

So if I'm not mistaken, the biggest problem that you're dealing with is the inclined planes. The seats and backrests are not horizontal or vertical, but angled. I don't think the perspective tool helps much in this case...

Let me know if I'm off the mark.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-12-22 at 1.25.59 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-12-22 at 1.28.18 PM.png

matt_lorenzi

You're probably right about the inclined planes, however your screen capture did help. The angled items will take care of themselves as I have them accounted for in my side profile. Was more of an issue of where to set my grid, but you kind of found a nice "rectangular box" bellow the bench. I will start there and see where I go. Thanks the help!

That said, was your first screen shot created with the grid tool, or did you draw your own? This is perhaps the route I need to take...

JamesProvost

I tried to do the first one with the perspective grid, but because the VPs are so uneven, the grid started to get wonky. That might just because the tool is new to me, but I found it easier and more demonstrative to just draw the lines I needed.

matt_lorenzi

I finally found time to watch the entire video as well. Some great stuff. Still wish someone would tackle mapping a perspective grid to something a little more irregular than a house ;-)

matt_lorenzi

Has anyone else had issues pulling complex objects into the perspective grid? I'm getting denied with some of my more complex shapes, but can't think there's too much going on to prevent the transfer. Should I keep my objects more simple, or pull them over one at a time?

Return to “General”