JamesProvost

3D Illustration

I've been dabbling in 3D for a while now and I'm starting to get output that has the same look and feel as my Illustrator + Photoshop process. My intent isn't photorealism, but to get something that's dimensional and conveys structure and materials, but still feels illustrated.

I'd love to hear what you guys think. Things you like? Things that need work?

jhatch

Re: 3D Illustration

These really look great James. What program are you using? How hard was it to learn? How hard is it to spin around to a new view? I was trying to figure out how you did the buildings.

clint

Very cool, nice work. I'm surprised that they are 3d, they look so 2d.
what software?

thanks!

JamesProvost

Thanks guys.

I'm using Cinema 4D with some post work in Photoshop and Illustrator.

The building image probably has the least tweaking done to it (Curves and adding the arrows), so it would take the least work to rotate and take another shot of. The three main buildings are identical, and the trees and vehicles are stock items that came with the app. The lineart is generated by C4D.

I feel like the learning curve is a bit steeper than Photoshop or Illustrator, because it's more than just making things look how you want them to look. I had prior experience with AutoCAD, which probably hurt more than it helped because CAD tends to work like physical machining processes, wheras most 3D software is just concerned with the surface and doesn't understand the volume.

jhatch

Very cool James,

What version do you suggest to buy? Does it really cost over $3 grand?

- Is that Sleeping Bag in 3D as well? That looks great. I want to see the entire drawing.

JamesProvost

R13 was released pretty recently and has some great features. It's expensive, but not as much as Maya.

The sleeping bag is actually Illustrator. I think working in 3D has actually helped my 2D because I'm thinking more about how light works. I have one more round of revisions on that one, then I can probably share it.

Don Cheke

Hi James,

It looks to me like you have it mastered already. The three images you attached are certainly different styles (in my opinion) and I think they all work wonderfully.

Are you feeling more comfortable with 3D? Are you finding advantages to using it that were not apparent when you were working strictly 2D.

Can you export from C4D to Illustrator as vector art?

I must be blind as I don't see a sleeping bag, mentioned by someone else.

matt_lorenzi

There is a quite a difference in price between Prime and Studio. For most, would Prime suffice? Quite the price difference, but Prime seems reasonable.

JamesProvost

@Don
Thanks. Getting more comfortable and always finding new advantages. The workflow feels faster than drawing & painting everything out, but it could just be perception.

Yes, the Sketch and Toon module allows for export of vector .AI files. It requires some cleanup, but I'm surprised how well it works.

@Matt
Studio includes the Sketch and Toon renderer, Prime doesn't. There may be other stuff, but that was the deciding factor for me.

matt_lorenzi

Thanks James. Will have to try the free trial. My hardware might hate me, but worth a try. I just landed a prospective gig that could make good use of 3D.

Return to “General”