Stevenwhoward

Autocad Tutorials

I am currently getting Autocad. I have little experience with 3D and have never received education for it while at college. Quite honestly I was opposed to 3D software until recently. I generally just use Adobe Illustrator and occasionally Photoshop, but I want to expand my skill set to grow as a technical illustrator.
Since I do not have the training I was wondering where I might go or what is the best resource for tutorials and beginner's guides to the basics of Autocad.

Mike A

Re: Autocad Tutorials

Hi Steven,
I'm afraid I can't offer you any direction on the AutoCAD front, but I was wondering why you're going that for 3D work, is it choice or is it coming your way for some other reason? I'm just curious as I've no experience with it, but have always thought of it as more as being more oriented to engineers and product designers rather than graphics and illustration use.

Mike

Stevenwhoward

I understand Autocad can do 2D work as well, but I appreciate its ability to produce accurate illustrations. I'd like to get Cinema4D, but currently have no funds necessary to purchase it. I was able to get Autocad at a discounted rate. Over time I want to be able to work in multiple programs like AutoCad, Cinema4D, IsoDraw and others. When searching for work most of the jobs are asking for some experience in these areas and if I can be familiar with the basics of these programs I can expand who I'm able to work for.

theglenster

to be honest, i realy dont think AutoCAD is the way to go for a Tech Illustrator, in 15 years of doing this job ive not met a single person that uses it for Illustration (naturaly there will be acceptions).

With Autocad you will be severely limiting your creative freedoms. you will not be getting the high end rendering or animation capabilities of the mainstream "Illustration" 3D packages out there (C4D, Max, Modo etc).

Have a think about the future,

who will potential clients be?

who will potential collegues be?

will i be able to exchange data with them?

what kind of data will i be able to import/export?

can i use any external renderers?

do i realy want to invest so much time and money on software that only i will be using?

i think autocad is around $5000, for a fraction of this price you can get one of the above mentioned 3d softwares that is full of all the functions that a technical illustrator needs. with autocad your going to be paying for a whole bunch of stuff you will never need.

As for 2D adobe illustrator is more than capable of cover anything a technical illustrator need to do.

if you have any questions about the pricing of CINEMA 4D and its different packages or some one to one advice get in touch with MAXON inc at:

MAXON Computer Inc.
2640 Lavery Court, Suite A
Newbury Park, CA, 91320
USA

Telefon: +1 877-ANIMATE
E-Mail: info_us[at]maxon[.]net

and tell them Glen johnson sent you, they will be able to help you out ;)

clint

I think you can get autocad for the mac for around $850, I was just running the trial version under parallels for some freelance work. I hate using Autocad for 2d work unless it's stuff that needs to be measured to scale. I did that in my previous job for about 13 years. Ended up drawing everything in illustrator and bringing it into cad to comply with specs. Haven't messed with it much for 3d. Sorry, I know that wasn't any help.

Return to “General”