LyleMills

Isometric Scaling

Hi All,

Can someone please clarify what the proper scaling amount is for doing isometric drawings? On one site it is 86.602% and on another it is 86.062% Which one is correct? Also, where does this "magical" number come from? Could someone explain? :?

Thanks,
Lyle

LyleMills

Re: Isometric Scaling

Well, trying the tutorials it is 86.062%, but I am still unable to figure out how that number comes about. Anyone?

JamesProvost

It should be 86.602%

Scaling compensates for the stretch that the Shear does. Try working backwards from a 1" isometric cube made from 3 parallelograms. Then rotate and shear each side. You'll see they're not quite square. Then scale them and you'll see you end up with three 1" squares.

LyleMills

Thanks James!

Makes much more sense after "reverse-engineering" the cube.

matt_lorenzi

This may have been asked / posted somewhere already. Is there an isometric plugin for AI? I know there are grids available, which I have. Just wondering if there is a plugin which will shear/scale for you.

Otherwise, can the Perspective Tool draw you an isometric grid? That would be a nice feature to have...and am sure would be no issues for Adobe to incorporate.

JamesProvost

Look into "Actions," they can turn scale/shear/rotate into one hotkey each for top/front/side.

matt_lorenzi

@James
Thanks, keep forgetting about actions. Will try.

Return to “General”