LyleMills

Liability Insurance

Hi All,

Just curious, for those of you working as freelancers, do you have liability insurance? Is it a wise thing to have, or can you avoid liability successfully in your contract specifications?

Lyle

jhatch

Re: Liability Insurance

LyleMills wrote:Hi All,

Just curious, for those of you working as freelancers, do you have liability insurance? Is it a wise thing to have, or can you avoid liability successfully in your contract specifications?

Lyle
This is a good question. In 15 years I have had only one client make this a big issue that I didn't understand at the time so I declined the job. The client relented and we moved on to final but I would like to hear more about this.

LyleMills

Re: Liability Insurance

I was considering starting out in architectural illustration until a couple of the "top" artists told me not to narrow my sights to just arch-viz. They also told me to get liability insurance and to incorporate. Starting out as a freelancer I thought this was a bit extreme. If you put your liabilities to the cost of the work, and if the work ultimately has to be approved by the client/company, wouldn't the client/company be responsible for any errors or omissions? Granted, if you breached some sort of copyright in your illustration then yes the artist should be held responsible, but that's a whole different can of worms.

Definitely hoping others can comment on this topic.

Return to “General”