matt_lorenzi

Perspective question

So you've gathered up a host of photos, drawings, details, closeups, etc... You're finally ready to start a cutaway illustration.
Assuming you'll be using Illustrator, and not a 3D program, how do you decide on the best perspective? It's a pretty big decision, since it won't be easy to change things around once you get deep into it.
Are there standard perspective views for something like an engine detail? Should you even bother with perspective, or go isometric?

matt_lorenzi

Re: Perspective question

I've read a lot of Kevin Hulsey's tutorials, and what I gather from his writings is to essentially find a view/perspective that shows you the most detail of the area you wish showcase. Sounds simple enough in theory, but again a bit of thought should go into it before getting in too deep in an illustration.

clint

I usually experiment with simple shapes first to get my perspective right. Lately I'll draw a side view and front view maybe and screw with the perspective grid tool in illustrator to get the angle I want, that's kind of fun. Drawing an engine would be a lot easier in ISO but would really show off some serious talent if you have the skill to draw it in perspective.

matt_lorenzi

I am getting more comfortable with the perspective tool in AI. I think it even has a setting for isometric.
Perhaps isometric is the way to go... The distortion is not that noticeable with smaller objects. I'll have to revisit what the experts are doing.

matt_lorenzi

I am a little perplexed. I'm wondering if I have reached my limit in terms of illustration, or at least what I wish to accomplish in AI.
I thought I'd attempt a cutaway of a CH-149:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada-- ... 0803903/M/

There are many great photos online from which to trace from, but I wanted to show a particular perspective. I found front, side and top views which I traced in order to construct the 3D model. Needless to say this thing is bloody hard! I could not have picked a model with more odd angles and rounded surfaces.

So am I a crazy to attempt this is in AI and would it be more reasonable to build in a 3D program? Not that I am skilled at any 3D programs, but I am just wondering if it is a fool's errand to try and build this sucker the way I'm going about it.

Or is it simply a matter of practice? Again, I couldn't have chosen a cube van instead..... :)

JamesProvost

This one's tricky because none of the surfaces are aligned to the X, Y or Z planes. Everything's curvy.

So I'd start with your Top orthographic view above your drawing space, set up your perspective grid, then start laying in cross sections. You'll probably find that the vertical cross sections help you position elements in space within the fuselage and help you draw the airframe beneath the heli's skin.

Hope that helps!
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 10.49.01 AM.png

Mike A

Hi Matt,
Yes - I'm sure a cube van would be much easier :) - but I'd recommend you shoot for your helicopter - push your skills. It's a great way to learn.

It is a tough subject - in either 2D or 3D - and probably a similar amount of work either way. As James says there's hardly a straight line in it. That's a pretty unusual angled tail fin arrangement too. I've created quite a few 3D based helicopter images over time - here's a reasonably recent one for example: http://www.vantagegraphics.co.uk/Posted ... ynx_01.jpg. Sorry about the mosaic'd areas - they are the bits I can't show in public ;)

As you posted above - I think the critical decision is deciding on an appropriate perspective viewpoint. If I was attempting this in 2d perspective I'd probably set up a few crude 'cube' or 'cross-section' test views to try an establish the best viewpoint - as per James's example. I'd include a 'containing cube' for that wacky tail fin so I could visualise the angle of that - because I think that could look really odd from some views. In choosing the view you also need to carefully consider the visibility of the key things you want to reveal inside and where you will actually section / cut-away the aircraft.

It's quite a project - but I think it's a good one.

Mike

PS: You might want to search the main site because I'm fairly certain there was an example illustrator project file posted some time ago of a aircraft that might be of interest.

JamesProvost

I think this is the post Mike is referring to: http://technicalillustrators.org/2011/0 ... -aircraft/

Mike A

That's the one - thanks James. I'd forgotton it was in iso, not perspective - but it still might be helpful.

matt_lorenzi

@Mike A, Thanks for the feedback and tips. Yes, it is a punishing project, but a pretty fine looking helicopter all-the-same. I see one doing a fly-over of the Fraser River whenever there is a capsized vessel, or missing person report...etc. Nice work on the Lynx. What program did you use to create?

Return to “General”