matt_lorenzi

Anyone have any experince with ship / naval illustrations?

I have an opportunity to quote on some work for a cutaway of ship decks, showing interiors, furnishings, etc...
I can't say I have much experience with this sort of thing, but willing to take it on the chin somewhat in order to learn something.
The only reference I can find is the Hulsey work found on the resources page: http://www.khulsey.com/royal-caribbean- ... -seas.html

This is pretty amazing work, but don't think I am in that league. Any other examples people have stumbled across, or done themselves?

Stevenwhoward

Re: Anyone have any experince with ship / naval illustration

I currently do not have the links on hand, but a good starter place for quotes is the Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook for Ethical Guidelines and Pricing. Another artist I have seen do a ship cutaway is James Provost (which is pretty cool looking by the way, James!) For a traditional approach, Richard Chasemore did a cutaway of a ship. His main site has a link to "flyingmachine.org", I believe, which should have an example. I would send you the links normally, but I'm posting this via my mobile. For quoting, I generally find it best to compare time and effort needed on your end, the amount of accesable reference (for a cutaway this can be vital to the project) put against the time the client desires to allow for you to complete the work. If it is very complex, limited reference, and tight deadline the negotiating price should start higher. It doesn't matter what type of work it is. For doing a cutaway, look at several different artists' approach to a variety of subjects (not just naval) as this will give you an idea of a good approach. Iam costantly surfing the web and books discovering new and unique approaches for cutaways, with each having (for the most part) the appropriate style to convey the necessary detail to reveal in the object. Essentially, depending on what you need to show and to what demographic you need to show it to, your ship could be illustrated in a variety of different ways. Hope this helps.
-Steven

matt_lorenzi

@Steven,
Thanks for the detailed reply....helps a lot! I'm sensing my limitations is not so much with the subject matter, but with my skills in producing 3D from 2D reference material. I suppose the only real tip here is to practice, and practice some more!

matt_lorenzi

Thought I'd bump this thread. I got in contact with a boat designer in WA and he suggested taking on a few designs and making them "look good", then get the word out to publications and designers and see where the need is. He suggested there is room for some good renderings and illustrations; many designers have plans, and CAD files, but nothing too compelling looking.
Time to get started...

Return to “General”