JamesProvost

Re: New work

Thanks for the feedback, gents.

Jim: Illustrator for the lineart, Photoshop for the colors. I thought the drop shadow made it look a little more 'finished', but with fresh eyes, I see what you're saying about the 'sticker' look.

Don: Great point. That adds a lot.
Attachments
spray-system-full.jpg

Don Cheke

jamesprovost wrote:Thanks for the feedback, gents.

Jim: Illustrator for the lineart, Photoshop for the colors. I thought the drop shadow made it look a little more 'finished', but with fresh eyes, I see what you're saying about the 'sticker' look.

Don: Great point. That adds a lot.
Looks great James!

matt_lorenzi

Without giving away your trade secrets James, how did you use Photoshop for the colors? Did you do all the metallic gradient work in Photoshop? This would leave me muddled and probably banging my head...I spend way too little time in Photoshop.

Mike A

Sorry to be late to the party on this one. I was going to comment earlier, but 'life' got in the way :)

First, I've got to say I'd be really happy if this were mine. You've done a great job - especially on the metallic surfaces, but I think Jim is spot on: removing the drop shadow has really 'un-flattened' the image.

Before Jim posted his comment I was going to suggest a little tonal darkening inside the pain pot where it narrows - because I felt that looked a little flat, eg:

- but once the shadow was removed, I think that fixed it.

The only other comment (and this is being picky :) is that I feel that the top section is neither 'ghosted', nor 'cut-away' - but falls a bit between the two. If I'm honest I'm not sure that works 100% for me, but, given the target audience, I doubt that would be an issue.

Great job!

Mike

PS TO ALL: It would be great if we could keep this thread going. Seeing work from members, and receiving positive critique (let's call it 'help' ) could build this into a really interesting, helpful and inspiring thread! :)

matt_lorenzi

Alright, I will throw myself on your collective mercy (mercies?).
Nothing groundbreaking here, but did this for a proposal for a
training manual for booms and lifts. Used three different source
images to get what I wanted.

Full version:
http://mattlorenzi.ca/wp-content/upload ... g_boom.jpg

clint

What the hell, I'll join in.
It has a few issues but the client was happy and I was happy and it was done on my laptop during a trip.

http://174.121.239.98/~fordillu/files/ChacoExploded.jpg

JamesProvost

@Matt Nice balance between black & white, line & fill. The boom arm is looking a little flat though. If you made the bottom line of each part in the arm 3x as thick, it would give the same depth effect as the body of the lift currently has. Looks good overall though, should work well at any size.

@Clint: Looks great as always. One issue—what's the grey tread-looking thing in the middle of the first insole?

clint

Hey James. Yea that's one of the areas that could use a little work, it was a compromise between 2 other attempts.
I think I have an idea now of how to improve it though.

matt_lorenzi

@James, Thanks, I will give that a try. I agree the boom are could use more "heft". It's tricky relying only on stroke weight to show whether something is closer or further away. But in this case I think you're suggesting I show a bit of perspective on the arms themselves.

Return to “General”