Stevenwhoward

New work

http://www.swhowardillustration.blogspot.com/
Awhile back, earlier this year when I still was needing to do freelance work (before I started working as a full-time technical illustrator for Space Systems/Loral), I took up a job on the Technicalillustrators.org job board (I believe it was the first offered job) and produced some work for the client. I finally am able to show the work on my portfolio. Follow the link above to see the work.

Stevenwhoward

Re: New work

It is the post with the Cinemeridian work.
*I would have posted this in the other "New Work" section on the forum, but it wasn't working for some reason.

Don Cheke

Nice work on the camera Steven.

clint

Very cool, I like your line work on the non-rendered one.

Stevenwhoward

Thanks!
@Clint- The linework was a particularly challenging thing. The client wanted black and white (no grays or midtones) but it had to appear as if it were gradating. The old traditional way to do that would be easy with pen and ink or scratchboard, but in Illustrator I had to play around with different techniques to get the right look. The easiest solution that I found was doing a blend between two lines with differing line weights (1.5pt- 0.125pt for example) both as dashed lines, yet the dash spacing different from the first line than the second line.

I imagine things like this will keep getting easier to produce as newer versions of Illustrator come out like CS6 and Astute Graphics keep pumping out their awesome plug-ins. I've come to realize that from CS4 to CS5 + Vector Scribe and Draw Scribe, what normally would take me several steps in Illustrator to produce are now more direct and in the end, saving myself and many others from headaches of trying to figure out the best visual result, while remaining quick and efficient for the client.

LyleMills

Very nice work on the camera!

jhatch

I put up the tech art I did for the new ICON Airmada Helmet that launched today. http://www.hatchillustrations.com/ICON- ... ustrations

Where is everyone? Working I hope.

JamesProvost

Great stuff as always, Jim.

I've been busy all summer, some magazine stuff, some corporate, and one book project (240 line illustrations!). Hopefully I'll find some time to write some posts for the blog, talk on here and share some work.

I hope everyone else is keeping busy!

jhatch

Great Job James. 240 illustrations is insane!

Mike A

jhatch wrote:I put up the tech art I did for the new ICON Airmada Helmet that launched today. http://www.hatchillustrations.com/ICON- ... ustrations.

Beautiful illustrations Jim - as always. The tonal variation / control in what is a predominantly greyscale image is gorgeous. Were you working with a physical product as reference?

Return to “General”