LyleMills

Newby Questions

Working in Illustrator using the Scale-Skew-Rotate method to do isometrics, I have a couple of questions I hope (and I am sure) someone on this forum can answer. :oops:

1. How do I find the proper SSR variables if a particular detail in my drawing does not fall on the same angle/plane as the top, left or right sides?

2. How would I figure out another Isometric at say 45 degrees instead of 30 degrees? I do have a copy of The Complete Technical Illustrator, which is an amazing resource, but would love to know the math behind the axonometric data - degrees for ellipse exposures, etc...

3. I am fascinated with the cut-through images of engines I have seen on Jim Hatch's, Kevin Hulsey's and others sites. How does one go about creating them? Are they orthographic images done in perspective projection? Is any part of them traced? And, relating to the above two questions, how do you calculate and set up to draw details that are not in the same perspective angle?

4. Are there any good online courses of study for technical illustration that anyone can suggest?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

JamesProvost

Re: Newby Questions

1. Have a look at the attachment. Basically SSR the rotated face to the appropriate plane, then construct the rest.

2. I thought I had typed up an explanation somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it right now. Briefly; draw something that looks like a cube, then trial and error with different SSR values until it matches. It can be time consuming, but once you get it, create some Actions and you never have to worry about it again. There may be a more reliable method, but I haven't come across it.

3. This is an excellent place to start: http://www.automotiveillustrations.com/ ... rials.html
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 10.25.10 AM.png

Return to “General”