JamesProvost

Adobe Creative Cloud

I'm hesitant to switch. I haven't looked into the details or any reviews, but I don't trust Adobe (makers of Acrobat Updater and Flash Updater) to keep their servers running properly. I don't want to get to my desk in the morning only to have Illustrator tell me that it can't contact the server or that my license has expired.

In the past, an upgrade was a fixed expense, a single purchasing decision and in the end you'd own some software. Creative Cloud seems like an ongoing commitment, a constant cost-benefit decision and if you ever cancel you have nothing to show for your money.

Anyone using it? What's your opinion of the software? The subscription model?

Don Cheke

Re: Adobe Creative Cloud

Hi James,

I have had a subscription for over a year. The first year I got a deal for being early on the scene ($39/month). After the year it went to $50/month. Even at $50/month it is still cheaper than upgrading every year, or very close. The benefit is that you get almost all of their software - if that is something that is attractive. I have used some of the software that I would not otherwise have had, but mostly I still used the same six products I have used since I began my graphic's career. A user always has access to updates so one can be current all of the time. A user still downloads all of the software so it is on one's computer so no effect if the Adobe site goes down. I don't use the cloud, as I have no need for it. I keep my own back-ups and don't travel so don't require access from other locations. I have never had any issues with the subscription. One can cancel at any time but, as you say, you no longer have use of the current builds. You would have to use your old versions that you have on hand. I recommend the subscription if one needs to stay current and if the cost pays for itself through continued work. For me it is worth the cost.

Hope that helps.

Stevenwhoward

I'm still waiting to hear Adobe's reply regarding use of the Creative Cloud for companies that deal with confidential or proprietary information. The cloud model seems to be a potential giant prohibiter of such companies upgrading to newer versions of Adobe software. I really don't think Adobe fully thought through all the implications of switching over to a cloud only model. They should have at least allowed an option to choose between subscription and the ability to buy a copy.
On a more personal note, the $50 a month subscription is actually quite expensive. For a $300 upgrade which I paid from CS5 to CS6 is not only cheeper, if I don't want to upgrade later, I don't have to worry about not only losing the software, but also losing the ability to have access to .psd files or .ai files, etc. I'm glad I upgraded to CS6 before all this happened. I really think Adobe needs to rethink their curent cloud only model.

Don Cheke

Stevenwhoward wrote:I'm still waiting to hear Adobe's reply regarding use of the Creative Cloud for companies that deal with confidential or proprietary information. The cloud model seems to be a potential giant prohibiter of such companies upgrading to newer versions of Adobe software. I really don't think Adobe fully thought through all the implications of switching over to a cloud only model. They should have at least allowed an option to choose between subscription and the ability to buy a copy.
On a more personal note, the $50 a month subscription is actually quite expensive. For a $300 upgrade which I paid from CS5 to CS6 is not only cheeper, if I don't want to upgrade later, I don't have to worry about not only losing the software, but also losing the ability to have access to .psd files or .ai files, etc. I'm glad I upgraded to CS6 before all this happened. I really think Adobe needs to rethink their curent cloud only model.
As far as I know, you don't have to store your work in the cloud, that one still downloads and installs the software on one's computer (and can store locally), so it is not really any different than previous versions in that regard. Listen to this video at -1:24ish: http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/creativecloud.html

$300 for an upgrade would have been nice. Here in Canada I paid $600 for my upgrade from CS3 - CS4 and then for CS4 - CS5. Was $300 perhaps student pricing?

JamesProvost

This podcast interviewed an Adobe senior product marketing manager about Creative Cloud. It answered some of my questions, but some concerns still linger:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bh8KkE_7x4

prof. hemispheres

I think Adobe has thought really hard about this, and rethought it again. In the end, they probably will end up making more money now. Instead of a one-shot payment to buy the software, or pay for an upgrade, you now have a monthly "rent" payment to make. That amounts to them making alot of money, considering some folks don't update constantly, and are happy with using one update for many years. I don't want another monthly expense. Personally, I like the idea of owning/buying my own software, not renting it.

Don Cheke

prof. hemispheres wrote:I think Adobe has thought really hard about this, and rethought it again. In the end, they probably will end up making more money now. Instead of a one-shot payment to buy the software, or pay for an upgrade, you now have a monthly "rent" payment to make. That amounts to them making alot of money, considering some folks don't update constantly, and are happy with using one update for many years. I don't want another monthly expense. Personally, I like the idea of owning/buying my own software, not renting it.
I have had a slight change of heart since I posted my response in June. I had a slowdown in work in August and I briefly thought about cancelling my subscription. Trouble is the only version I had on my computer that was not subscription was CS5. I had already been using CS6 a year and CC since it came out and have loads of files in those versions that I reuse and cannot open many of them in CS5 without some forethought before cancelling. My wife convinced me not to jump the gun as I occasionally have slow times in the summer and it would pick up again. It did and all is well - but during that time I felt like a prisoner to the subscription. I am one to always upgrade so as long as things are going well the subscription doesn't cost more than upgrading each year as before - but it is when you want to jump ship that you will feel hosed.

Return to “General”