Stevenwhoward

Photoshop painting tutorial

I've been looking for some time and have yet to come across a good painting tutorial for technical illustration (mainly in Photoshop).
I know of the general idea of how to approach the style of painting technical illustrations rather than the use of Illustrator alone, but it always helps to see it done. I'm hoping to find a demo of something that's the quality of Kevin Hulsey or Jim Hatch's work. (Jim- your work never ceases to impress me!)
I've found written tutorials by Kevin Hulsey: http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutoria ... sting.html
But I want to find a video tutorial. Maybe someone could post a video on our site? It doesn't even need to be all that complex. A car suspension would work just fine. If any of you know of a good video demo or would like to create one let me know.

matt_lorenzi

Re: Photoshop painting tutorial

Good question Steven. I'm always scared taking anything into Photoshop...unless I was doing a ghosted image. My struggle is whether to turn paths into selections, and then how to actually "paint" within that selection. Must be pretty easy, but Photoshop not intuitive for me for that kind of work.

clint

Come on Jim, do a video!

jhatch

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the kind words! My general technique is to just paint until it looks right or cool! I wouldn't know how to make a video is there a tutorial on how to make a tutorial? HA…

Jim

matt_lorenzi

Just did a quick test of Kevin Hulsey's Photoshop painting tutorial. Outside of being a video it does a great job. I'm still a "do 99% of the work in Illustrator" kind of guy. I like having the ability to edit paths, colours, gradients, etc...
I guess that is one reason I try to get the most out of the gradient features. To take it into Photoshop, you had better be done with your modeling.

Return to “General”