matt_lorenzi

Best projection for infographics

I've been tapped to help someone do an infographic of a transit system. The objective is to show delays in the system, illustrating both frequency and types of delays occurring at each station. I've got some good ideas of how to do this, but I'm wondering if I should go with a 2D or isometric projection? 2D might be quickest but visually not as effective. I'm thinking of creating symbols for each type of occurrence and extruding the symbol to give it a value. Would this work in an isometric projection?

matt_lorenzi

Re: Best projection for infographics

Wow, 512 views, but no replies.
James, we need to reward prizes to those who comment on the forum! ;)

JamesProvost

Re: Best projection for infographics

I think the transit service's official route/system map is a good place to start, because it'll be instantly recognizable to your audience. Careful though, some transit services are overly protective of their maps...

From there, I think it depends on the specifics you have to work with. I find that the most interesting infographics combine big-data quantitative stats with fine-grained qualitative stories. For example: Last year there were 63 Passenger Assistance Alarms at Main Street Station (big data). One of those, on April 8 was Alice who went into labour and later delivered a baby girl (fine-grain). It really depends on what information you have available to you. From there, you can make a decision on the best way to present it.

Hope that helps—in any case, I'm claiming the first comment prize!

Return to “General”