Art Work

Auto-trol Technical Illustrator

Anyone using the Auto-trol Technical Illustrator application from Versata? If so then are you able to run that on Windows 7? I am not having much luck with that. I currently use Auto-trol Technical Illustrator Express 14.0 due to a customer requirement but was told I would have to upgrade that to Auto-trol Technical Illustrator Professional 14.4 or newer to get it to work on Windows 7. I need to update my computer from Windows XP to Windows 7 because Microsoft is discontinuing security support for Windows XP in a week or so. I have also been unable to make contact with anyone at Auto-trol/Versata. Thanks.

Lortau

Re: Auto-trol Technical Illustrator

It should work OK, but you have to be careful about the installation directory on a 64-bit machine. Since Ti is a 32-bit application, the default installation directory will be under "C:\Program Files (x86)". This will not work because Tech Illustrator does not like parenthesis in file names. Install it into the regular "C:\Program Files" directory or somewhere else instead. You'll also want to ensure your start-up directory in the desktop shortcut is set to a reasonable location (check it by right-clicking on the shortcut and look at the properties).
I'm curious about the lack of reply from technical support. Are they charging you a maintenance fee?

Rahul KULKARNI

Re: Auto-trol Technical Illustrator

I too had faced a same problem with my previous employer. In that case we had upgraded the system to Windows 7.0 and installed the Professional version on the machine. After that it worked fine. Faced a system crash when I used to copy and try to paste a file containing a heavy linearts.

NOTE: Auto-Trol is very expensive software and I too wonder where their maintenance guys are.
With respect,
Rahul KULKARNI

Return to “General”