Cutaway King

Re: Introductions

I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Darren and although I do not draw/illustrate (well, only as a hobby when I get the time) I enjoy looking at other people's work. I am always fascinated by illustrated cutaways, so much detail. I came across this forum while searching the internet for cutaway illustrations.

Darren
Physical and illustrated cutaways - www.cutawaycreation.com

matt_lorenzi

Hello all,

Great to have found this site. Let me explain how I got here.

I am in the home stretch of a Technical Writing program here in Vancouver, BC. The program focussus mainly on writing and document project management, but does have a course in entry level graphics (simple line art, bitmaps, etc...).

My background is in graphic design for the printing industry; mainly in flexography, which is a technique that prefers vector artwork. Hence I have been using Adobe Illustrator for over 15 years now. While not professionally trained as a technical illustrator, I would definitely think I can provide a good middle ground to some of the more trained illustrators.

I aim to become a technical writer, with a strong leaning towards the illustration side. I am hoping there will be enough writers out there with maybe limited illustration skills; that's where I would like to come in. Hoping there is work out there, but still need ot make the right connections. Any advice would be welcome.

Nice to have found this like minded community.

Jessie Victoria

Hi everyone!

My name is Jessie Victoria and I am halfway through 3rd year Technical Illustration at Sheridan College. I've been browsing the website and the forum for a week now and I decided I might as well join in on the fun! I'll post work later! :)

Don Cheke

Jessie Victoria wrote:Hi everyone!

My name is Jessie Victoria and I am halfway through 3rd year Technical Illustration at Sheridan College. I've been browsing the website and the forum for a week now and I decided I might as well join in on the fun! I'll post work later! :)
Welcome Jessie,

It is usually a very quiet forum, which is too bad, because it is a great idea and and ideal meeting place for those interested in technical illustration.

I am looking forward to seeing what kind of illustration work you do.

JamesProvost

Welcome, Jessie.

Feel free to share work, join in the discussions, and send your classmates too. As Don said, it's quiet here, but questions tend to get answered pretty quickly.

LyleMills

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lyle Mills. I have been working in the web design/photography field for years but went back to school for architectural technology and graduated in 2007. I have been working as a drafts-person for a few years in different areas and then tried to get into the architectural illustration field until being told by a head illustrator that he couldn't suggest it. He told me to think about technical illustration considering my technical and artistic background. Now I am in the process of putting together a portfolio of work and seeing if I can make a career out of it. I really loved making the construction details and assembly drawings in CAD and hope I can branch out into the construction field with it, among others. Stay tuned...

Stevenwhoward

LyleMills wrote:Hi Everyone,

My name is Lyle Mills. I have been working in the web design/photography field for years but went back to school for architectural technology and graduated in 2007. I have been working as a drafts-person for a few years in different areas and then tried to get into the architectural illustration field until being told by a head illustrator that he couldn't suggest it. He told me to think about technical illustration considering my technical and artistic background. Now I am in the process of putting together a portfolio of work and seeing if I can make a career out of it. I really loved making the construction details and assembly drawings in CAD and hope I can branch out into the construction field with it, among others. Stay tuned...
Lyle,
Welcome to the forum, glad you could join! I recently got AutoCad for my Mac and was wondering if you knew of the best place(s) for tutorials- especially beginners. When I have the finances to be able to invest in a program again I plan on getting Cinema4D or Maya. Ultimately, I want to expand my skill-set to 3D programs as well- mostly I work with Illustrator.
Do you have a link to any work you have done?

matt_lorenzi

Steven,
Have you checked out lynda.com?
They have great video tutorials on almost any program. I used them quite a bit when brushing up on my CSS and Wordpress skills.
Here are links for AutoCAD:
http://www.lynda.com/AutoCAD-training-t ... 160-0.html

Some may be free to watch, but a subscription is only $25/month or $250/year. Well worth it if you ask me.

LyleMills

Sam_Cox

Howdy,

I have been visiting the site for a while and thought I would join the forum and introduce myself. I graduated from the North Carolina State University College of Design in 2011 with a degree in graphic design and have been working as a designer since then. I'm completely fascinated by the world of technical illustration and love history and science and any kind of informational graphics. I just feel at home browsing through the great work here. You can find my graphic design portfolio at http://www.samuelwcox.com

One of my goals is to move my work more into the illustration/information graphics field whether that be learning GIS and data visualization, or focusing on my traditional art skills. Ultimately, I love making anything that requires precision, accuracy, and clarity. I want to use design as a way help people learn and see things they've never considered before. One of my absolute favorite illustrators is Stephen Biesty http://www.stephenbiesty.co.uk/galleries_main.html. I grew up on his cut-away books.

Anywho, I'll have to post some work soon and perhaps some specific questions for you guys.

Return to “General”