Mike A

St. Paul's Cathedral - isometric cutaway

Thought you guys might enjoy this:

A few weeks ago I was visiting the Victoria and Albert museum - the'V&A' - in London. It's London's major museum dedicated to art and design. They have a small architecture department, and in it I found this amazing isometric cutaway. That's my 14 year old daughter for scale. This is NOT an enlarged reproduction, this is the original drawing! I think the overall size is around 12' x 8'.
It was drawn by Godfrey Allen and R B Brook Greaves and took five years for the two men and a couple of assistants to complete (1923 - 1928).

The green boxes show the approximate areas of the close up images. Apologies for the poor quality, I only had my phone camera and it was a rather dimly light area.

Mike

JuanCal123

Re: St. Paul's Cathedral - isometric cutaway

whats the reason for the closeup in that particular area? where you have a green box.

Mike A

It was pretty much a random choice - I simply wanted to show the level of detail...

JuanCal123

very impressive. The amunt of work is just incredible with the tools available at the time. Wonder if their were any frustrations...

jhatch

Mike, That is really incredible thanks for sharing.

Stevenwhoward

That is very impressive! Especially considering the fact that the line-weights were observed and kept consistent down to the smallest detail. I have a lot of respect for that as many illustrators tend to be lazy and don't keep consistent and well thought out line-weights. Thanks for sharing this!

Mike A

Having returned from the visit I wished I'd looked more carefully to see if it was created on one single sheet of paper - my guess is it was. In that case I wonder how they created it? Maybe hung vertically on a wall??
The amount of work involved is amazing. No copy and paste or SSR for these guys!

Stevenwhoward

Mike,
I looked up the history online. This was created in the 20s by a few draftsmen and took 5 years to complete as restoration was being made to the cathedral. It was sketched in pencil then inked over (apparently if you look close enough in person you can see some of the pencil construction lines).

Rahul KULKARNI

Really beautiful and inspirational. Thanks for sharing :D
With respect,
Rahul KULKARNI

Return to “General”