JamesProvost

Best Camera/Lens for Shooting Reference Photos?

I just received a question from a reader asking for camera and lens recommendations for shooting reference photos.

I'm no camera expert, what are your thoughts/opinions?

JuanCal123

Re: Best Camera/Lens for Shooting Reference Photos?

first thing comes to mind is Macro lenses and telephoto lenses. depends on the subject matter

Mike A

As JuanCal says... it depends : )

Presuming the purpose is to create a tech Illustration the main thing is to be as far away from the subject as reasonably possible - to minimise perspective distortion. Having said that you obviously need to balance that against retaining enough detail - so the further you are away the longer focal length lens you'll need to 'fill the frame' and thereby retain detail. Exactly 'how long' depends on the size / nature of the subject. But pretty much any modern compact or better would have more than enough resolution.

Mike

JuanCal123

one of the cameras Ive had my eye on is the Nikon D series, I first liked the D7000 but then when I had better money I shifted to the D7100 and now I have my eye set on the D750. Its still a tie though if my budget isnt good I might go with the D7100 but if I have the money Ill get the D750.

they also have the D610 which is expensive and thats probably something someone would get if they plan to make money shooting photos and supposedly very good Video.

For my preference the low end D7100 would siffice, but if my budget allows it Ill shoot for the D750. What am I planning to shoot, women models, environments, for example buildings, people walking on streets, street vendors, food markets, nightlife etc. a sort of portfolio of the cities Ive visited during my life. When I first took my class in Photography I bought a D65 NIkkon I believe $265 35mm film.
Cannon has good camera quality, but I decided to stick to Nikkon for now.

clint

I have a sony rx100 for quick shots that works great, then when I need some decent photos and need a little control I break out my Canon T5I, sometimes tethered to my laptop, which I'm going to be experimenting more with. The thing I like about that, is say I want to match up an angle to a previous drawing, I can load the drawing on the laptop and layer it live with the new photo I'm shooting. I think the next investment will be a good macro lens. Occasionally I get product samples of something like a fabric swatch and I need to see the real fine detail, macro would be perfect for that.

G Bo

I've just bought a new camera and would love to get into product photography. Seemingly the only thing photographers do round here is weddings though. :roll:

How did you lot start?

JuanCal123

Product photogrphy sounds like fun as well. I bet theres a lot you can do

G Bo

Interesting to read in that article on Ryan Kirby about how he took it upon himself to learn product photography.

I think I'm just going to buy a couple of lights, make some boards and just start clicking. Probably do my lad's toys or something.

Neil Falconer

Hi,
I have just bought a 24-70mm lens for a Canon camera, one of the reasons to photograph products. It has a useful macro function on the lens. I am a lazy illustrator and like to get as much detail from my images in my shots, hence choosing this lens.

As for camera. Most modern cameras will be perfectly able to handle ref shots. How deep are your pockets?

Return to “General”