matt_lorenzi

Symbols or placed instances for multiple Illustrator files

FYI....James gives me kick-backs for each thread I start on here.

Here is my newest. I'm trying to find best-practices for reusing content in Illustrator.

Originally I thought I would create multiple layers for each "step" I'm illustrating.
This has worked for the most part, but I'm running issues with artboard - where I manually crop the artboard for each layer before I export (time consuming. Never mind Illustrators habit of adding the artboard number to the file name). I'm using symbols wherever possible so if I ever do have to edit an object, it will update all instances.

I've found I have had to create a couple of new AI files where I just could not use my "layer" solution. This also, works of course, but if I update a symbol in one file, it will not automatically update in the other file.

So, perhaps it's best to keep everything in one file and start using multiple artboards. What are the pros and cons of this?

Another idea I'm thinking of is creating a separate AI file for each of my "symbols", then just placing each time I need an instance of that symbol. If I need to edit the object, it will ask to be updated in the links panel. This will also solve my "multi AI" file conundrum.

So two solutions:

1. One file with multiple artboards, where all symbols are maintained in symbol library.
2. Multiple files with symbols rendered as separate AI files and everything linked across the board.

Pros and cons of each, or is there a THIRD solution?

Thanks.
-Matt

mattyr64

Re: Symbols or placed instances for multiple Illustrator fil

Personally, if I have a number of separate objects that may require updates, I usually save them all as separate Illustrator files.
These are then "placed" into the main drawing, ensuring that the Link box is checked and that the Crop is set to "art".
Any updates made to the separate objects, will then be reflected in the main drawing if you "Update Link" (found in the Linked File menu) for that object, or if you re-open the file.

matt_lorenzi

Seems to work pretty well. Again, the preview on screen can look choppy, but then looks fine in printout and as a PDF. Does depend on what PDF writer you use...

mattyr64

If you are using linked EPS files, and want the linked files to look nicer on the artboard preview:
Go to Preferences > File Handling & Clipboard, and uncheck "Use Low Resolution Proxy for Linked EPS".
This seems to work on all files placed after changing the setting, any previously linked EPS files will still appear at low resolution.

Return to “General”