matt_lorenzi

Flash for animation

I'm working for a client creating line-art illustrations for assembly manuals. Eventually their website will also need work and I'm keeping that in mind as I build my files. There may be need to have some of the working parts illustrated for viewing on the web.

Is Flash still the way to go for animating objects since I'm still working largely in Illustrator?

You keep hearing that Flash is dead, but I see that more for the output file, and not the animation process - I could be wrong.

Is anyone using Flash to author vector-based animations?

JamesProvost

Re: Flash for animation

I've used Flash for a few things over the last couple of years, and used the Swiffy extension by Google to export as HTML5.

It worked well for me... no problems converting the artwork, animation or ActionScript code. I think Swiffy may have a file size limit, though that may have changed.

matt_lorenzi

I noticed you had used Swiffy for the flexible solar panel animations. I hadn't heard of Swiffy before, the internet will tell you all...
Good to know it works well. I love that sample btw. It's not just animation for the sake of it, but contains information.

matt_lorenzi

Now I'm looking at how feasible it is to do a 3D animation with Flash! Reason? I have all the vectors built so I have lot of the legwork done. Should I learn/switch to a 3D platform? Probably yes. But at the moment I still see it as chasing another rabbit hole.

JamesProvost

If you're going to invest time learning 3D, you might as well learn in a proper 3D program rather than Flash. Just my two cents.

Return to “General”