Mike A

Illustrating people

Hi all - my first post here, although I've enjoyed the site for a little while.

Excuse my ignorance here, as I'm a much more of a graphics generalist than an illustrator, but I'm wondering what approach most people take to illustrating people in their work. I was propted by seeing Jameson Simpson's super work on the main site (Featured Illustrator, July 2010).

Do you take specific photo reference for the image? Work from memory? or what?

Mike

clint

Re: Illustrating people

Hey there,
I imagine it depends on who is doing the illustrating. I can't draw people for shit, so I use photo reference, trace, stylize, etc. I'd bet the majority do that, then there are the people who can really draw people well that don't need the reference or at least don't trace. Look at Shepard Fairey's work, he traces, then look at James Jeans work. You can see James Jeans skill in his sketches.
If you want to get serious about drawing people I say go take some figure drawing classes. If it's not something you are going to do all the time try to come up with a unique style based off photo reference.
Just my 2 cents.

Admin
Site Admin

Personally, I combine whatever references I can get my hands on. I try to pose it out myself and see what fees natural. I look for photos that suit the angle and action. I look for other artists' drawings and paintings that capture the gesture and anatomy. The more information I have in front of me the better.

Then I sketch it out until I'm comfortable with the anatomy. I scan this in and trace over it. My first pass is very angular, trying to sort out the 'line of action' of each part, then I try to smooth it out and make it more organic. (Maybe we need a thread on here for process work/sketches?)

Admittedly, there aren't very many examples of people in my portfolio. It's something I'm still figuring out how to integrate into my style(s), and I'm hesitant to put anything up that I'm not completely happy with.

I think the key is to find a process that suits your skills and your style. Make it work for you.

Stevenwhoward

An excellent resource regarding drawing people that I often will return to is Barbarra Bradley's book Drawing People. With most things, I think reference is always best to have around.

Return to “General”