fiel

TechIllustration Online

Is it possible to learn technical illustration 100% online? If yes, where? :D
I've been looking for some kind of technical illustration school here in my country but I think it is nonexistent here. :cry:
Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks!

JamesProvost

Re: TechIllustration Online

TechnicalIllustrators.org is a good place to start ;)

Techniques and software are possible to learn online via the myriad tutorial sites. But I think learning less-programmatic (ie. NOT step 1, step 2) things like drawing and colouring are more difficult to learn on your own. These are much more subtle things that you have to develop an eye for by having constant critique. Otherwise, you'll be trying to emulate something you don't fully understand and it'll show.

Keep us posted about your efforts! Maybe we'll add a list of schools to our Resources Page.

fiel

jamesprovost wrote:TechnicalIllustrators.org is a good place to start ;)

Techniques and software are possible to learn online via the myriad tutorial sites. But I think learning less-programmatic (ie. NOT step 1, step 2) things like drawing and colouring are more difficult to learn on your own. These are much more subtle things that you have to develop an eye for by having constant critique. Otherwise, you'll be trying to emulate something you don't fully understand and it'll show.

Keep us posted about your efforts! Maybe we'll add a list of schools to our Resources Page.
I agree. :) TechnicalIllustrators.org is my "go-to" site. I like the site because it is very newbie-friendly :) . I learned a lot about technical illustration here. I think I read all entries on this site (esp. the interviews) and they were extremely helpful! :)

There is a BFA in Painting here in Cebu. I think I may be able to get some drawing and colouring lessons here, but I am not sure if the school would allow me to enroll only in their drawing and colouring lessons.

I will! :D I visited the Academy of Art University site and I was surprised that they sent a catalog via UPS! I read it from cover to cover but I found that they don't "technically" offer technical illustration. The pictures I found in the book were more on character and architectural illustrations. I was expecting some automotive/mechanical illustrations and some line art similar to the ones found in this site. :) Another discovery: education in AAU is expensive! :shock:

Thanks a lot, James! :D

clint

everything helps. I took painting classes for a while at the center for creative studies in detroit.
Take things apart at home and figure out how to illustrate them the best way. Sketch things out, scan them into illustrator and practice the hell out of the pen tool. Books can teach you about perspective and isometrics and such. Use photos and practice using the pen tool by tracing. The pen tool is your pal and must be mastered to get any good.

fiel

Ok. I'll keep that in mind. :)

I don't think there is any book on technical illustration here in the Philippines. I have brothers in Canada and Texas, though. I will ask them if they can buy a book for me. :idea: Do you have any book in mind, like something that primarily focuses on automotive illustration? Is there a 'Technical Illustration for Dummies' book? :)

Many thanks, Clint! :D

Mike A

Fiel,
The best two books I know of are those reviewed in the main part of the site here:
http://technicalillustrators.org/category/books/
Both are good.

As far as on-line tutorials are concerned there are very few, but Kevin Hulsey - a master of tech. Illustration has some good advice at:
http://www.khulsey.com/student.html

fiel

Mike,

I checked both books on Amazon. I read that 'Design Drawing by Francis Ching' primarily focuses on architectural illustration. I am looking for one that deals on automotive/mechanical illustration. Do you know any? :) I am still looking for one. For now, I believe that 'The Complete Technical Illustrator' by Jon Duff and Greg Maxson is the book I need. I read that it is an "old-school" type of technical illustration book. I had some drafting in high school so I think this book would match well with my utter-beginner skills. I don't know a thing about Illustrator, though! :lol: I am gonna have it installed after my brother reformats the pc.

I checked Mr. Hulsey's basic tutorials some time ago. I will start practicing as soon as I have Illustrator. :)

Do I need to have a wacom tablet or something? Will my training be negatively affected if I don't use one?

Many thanks! :D

clint

fiel wrote:Mike,

I checked both books on Amazon. I read that 'Design Drawing by Francis Ching' primarily focuses on architectural illustration. I am looking for one that deals on automotive/mechanical illustration. Do you know any? :) I am still looking for one. For now, I believe that 'The Complete Technical Illustrator' by Jon Duff and Greg Maxson is the book I need. I read that it is an "old-school" type of technical illustration book. I had some drafting in high school so I think this book would match well with my utter-beginner skills. I don't know a thing about Illustrator, though! :lol: I am gonna have it installed after my brother reformats the pc.

I checked Mr. Hulsey's basic tutorials some time ago. I will start practicing as soon as I have Illustrator. :)

Do I need to have a wacom tablet or something? Will my training be negatively affected if I don't use one?

Many thanks! :D
No, you don't need a wacom right away. Most of us made due without them for years, they sure are nice though.

fiel

OK, thanks!

Return to “General”