JamesProvost

3D Content in PDF

Hey gang, I received a question through the suggest@technicalillustrators.org mailbox that I can't answer.
I want to create a 3D interactive PDF of Spare parts in which i can link part list, callouts and exploded views of 3D model with each others ( for eg. if we take mouse point on 3D model, its callout and part discription will be automatically highlighted and vice versa.)

Is it possible? if yes, which software support this feature??
Currently i am using Solidwork's 3D-via composer.

Does anyone have experience creating 3D content for Acrobat PDFs? Any tips for the question asker?

Don Cheke

Re: 3D Content in PDF

If the person has SolidWorks (as he is using SW Composer) he can just save out as a 3D PDF. Although a user would need to select an object to see the part name in the part tree, this may be an option.

Deep Exploration was another CAD to 3D PDF software (now called SAP Visual Enterprise Author). See samples through this page. http://www.simulistic.com/sap.html
Viewer will need to download the PDF samples as they don't seem to work directly in the browser. Probably because Adobe now requires a user to select a trust option before it will run. I think this software has many other features that allow for many visualization options. I haven't used it myself but I have reviewed it a couple times over the years out of curiosity.

Return to “General”