Stevenwhoward

Certifications

Hey all,

Things have been quite quiet here on the site and forum. Hopefully that means you are all busy working out there. :D

I have a question regarding certifications as a technical illustrator. I've seen jobs requiring or requesting different levels of certifications (CAD, drafting, technical illustrator I, II, or III, etc.). Are there places to receive such certifications?
I feel as if I am a rare breed of technical illustrator as I had no formal training as a technical illustrator (I learned illustration at Academy of Art University in San Francisco). I have never worked in CAD and have limited knowledge of Visio and CreoView from my current job experience. I am however familiar and well skilled with all of Adobe suite and Cinema 4D.
One certification I would love to have, but have no way of getting is a security level clearance (from what I have researched, you cannot apply for one on your own, it must be given). I have worked on government work and other high level NDA material, but my company has always found a way to avoid getting a clearance for me so it is frustrating as that certification would have helped in a few of my job searches.

For those of you with certifications, how did you go about getting them? How beneficial have they been in your current job and job searching?

-Steven

Return to “General”