Don Cheke

Re: 3D software for illustration / visualisation

matt_lorenzi wrote:Can someone give me a quick rundown on how one would use something like C4D to render say a car?
Someone mentioned inputting the CAD data? Would this then give you the surfaces, and then you put them together in a 3D space? What if no CAD data is available, how would someone proceed in creating the same car in C4D?
I am not a C4D users but I suspect like most 3D modeling, you are not likely to find CAD data to input to create your car. I would recommend doing a Google search for Cinema 4D car tutorial. You will get a number of hits. Some will be helpful, others won't. Some will make it look simple (a few steps) but it won't be. Creating a car in any software, that I am aware of, is a major undertaking and best suited to software like C4D, 3D Max, Modo. Forget about doing it in CAD applications like AutoCAD and TurboCAD.

Here is a fairly intense tutorial from 2005 to create a chevy.
http://www.7thchamber.com/tutorials/Chev/index.htm

matt_lorenzi

jhatch wrote:This is the future, the rest of us 2D guys are doomed. Griff is my favorite 3D artist, his site is filled with amazing engines and all kinds of art: http://www.griffwason.com/

This is wonderful stuff. The aircraft engines alone are works of art. Would make a nice print in fact. I would love to shadow him and watch the process of how he gets to the end product.

LyleMills

I have been using C4D and it seems like it is the chosen 3D software for any form of technical modelling outside of arch/viz. The latest version is 13 and there are 4 different flavours with 4 different price points. It is priced competitively compared to all the other 3D apps out there. And as others have stated, there is a great community of users out there. Just check out C4Dcafe.com.

Sketchup pro and some of the external renderers for it, like podium, twilight, shaderlight, piranesi... do quite a nice job as well. Plus the price is much cheaper than even the basic C4D package. And Sketchup's ease of use and added benefit of Ruby scripts to add functionality are a godsend. It really boils down to what you feel comfortable with and find easy to learn and apply to your subjects.

Some may even suggest 3DSMax or Maya as they integrate so well with AutoCAD files (all being Autodesk products), however there is a steep price point and learning curve.....

matt_lorenzi

jhatch wrote:This is the future, the rest of us 2D guys are doomed. Griff is my favorite 3D artist, his site is filled with amazing engines and all kinds of art: http://www.griffwason.com/
Any idea what his technique or tool-set is? Again, so much to see. If anything it has given me inspiration to try my hand at a little known engine used on wooden boats 130 years ago: called a naptha engine. Lots of brass, cooling coils, pistons...fun stuff!

matt_lorenzi

New computer. Time to download Cinema 4D demo. Here we go!

hrantonsen

Im using NewTek Lightwave Modeler and the layout. But also Bryce, Form Z, AutoCad, Corel Designer dependent on what the purpose for the 3d. If it is just an illustration of an enterntainment purpose I can use LW-Modeler and Bryce for rendering and texturing. If it is for technological means I prefere using Form Z and Corel Designer. I use AutoCad for just checking the exported cadfile from Corel Designer or FormZ and some connections hate anyone not delivering files in DXF og DWG format. It is possible to export in DWG format from Corel Designer and Form Z but to make the DWG look real its smart to open it in AutoCad and edit it prepared for the further use.
Antonsen Illustrasjon
Brønnerudveien 44
1430 ÅS
Norway
Tel: +4741595506
Email: espen@antonsenillustrasjon.no

hrantonsen

Here are some scetch examples.
Attachments
This is a scetch of a funkis house. This scetch was made after the plans where made.
This is a scetch of a funkis house. This scetch was made after the plans where made.
Antonsen Illustrasjon
Brønnerudveien 44
1430 ÅS
Norway
Tel: +4741595506
Email: espen@antonsenillustrasjon.no

Paul B

I'm a bit late in the day for this Mike,

I use both Modo & 3Ds Max. They are both great programs for rendering. I always wanted to get 3ds max and when I started out as a freelancer, I just could not afford the price of Max. Here in the UK I find that some time prices are much higher than the US for most things, not sure why. I looked at a lot of software and C4D looked good but out of the three versions available, only the higher priced version did GI so that was ruled out as an option. Then I came across Modo and I found I found software that can match 3ds Max at a low price, I think it was £900 at the time, unbelievable. Love the program. You can use it on any pc (one at a time though) so you can go to a customers site and just down load the program and licence file and start work. I have Max now as well and I use them both daily, all depends on which one will get me the best results in the time available. I don't like the licence system of Max though, quite restrictive. I would advise anyone starting out to get Modo above any visualisation software.

Paul

Mike A

Hi Paul,
It's still a relevant topic.

I'd love to love MODO, but last time I tried it - probably back at 601 - it was too unstable for me. 801 looks very tempting, but from what I've read they don't seem to have improved it's stability much, if at all. Stability is pretty much #1 priority for me. C4D is pretty epic in that regard.

Mike
(another UK member :)

Paul B

Hi Mike,

Nothing worse than crashing software, although I have not had that issue with Modo (still using 601). 3Ds Max 2015 crashes more than Modo and every now and then I cant undo!
I use Solidedge st7 for CAD which is very stable. Version 20 how ever would crash if you raised your voice.

Paul

Return to “General”