Mike A

3D software for illustration / visualisation

Hi all,
Anybody using 3D software for visualisation or illustration work? Just wondering what software you use and what your thoughts are.

A lot of my images are 3D based. In relatively recent times I've used FormZ, Rhino and Cinema 4D (C4D) - with C4D being the mainstay. Unfortunately the latest C4D upgrade - version 12, is both expensive and seems to indicate a development direction that doesn't really fit with my needs. I'm thinking of jumping ship. Anyone use Modo?

Mike

JamesProvost

Re: 3D software for illustration / visualisation

I've recently started using Cinema 4D, but not long enough to have a strong opinion about it...

curtis

Hi Mike,
I use modo for relatively simple tech subjects. I don't have any experience with C4D, but what I immediately liked about modo was the interface and workflow. It's strength is really modeling, though it's rapidly improving in other areas. You can get a lot of unbiased comparisons of 3d applications on the Luxology forums. Also check out their galleries. Incredibly consistent quality of images on there, unlike some 3d app sites I've looked at.

Mike A

Curtis - thanks,
Yes I like the look of Modo's modelling workflow. I did try it briefly, in an earler version - but it was a bit crash prone on my machine. How is stability for you (are you Mac or Windows?)?

I agree about the gallery - very consistent imagery of the sort I'm looking to produce.

C4d is a good program - no doubt about that. Rock solid - I don't think it's ever crashed on me, and that's a valuable atrtribute in my book. I don't always follow the mindset of the developers though - what seems intuitive and natural to them doesn't always seem so to me :) That can make it a bit awkward to use for me.

Since I've posted they've offered a decent (discounted) upgrade deal that will be valid for a few months, so I think I'll hang on to the current version and see if there is any news on Modo 501 before the year end. I'd be interested to see what development areas Luxology target in their upcoming release.

theglenster

Hi guys,

ive been illustrating with C4D since version 7, and for the last 4 years ive done nothing else than make 3d illustration for a wide range of clients. I actualy wish sometime i could find some line work as a change but just get 3d thrown at me. mostly im rendering/animating caddata.

what i like about c4d is the comunity spirit. there are many forums on the net full of friendly people willing to offer advise and help. i even get alot of work from these guys. Also maxon employees are active in these forums giving that personal touch that is somewhat lacking with other software.

after trying out demos of all the mainstream 3d software, it was pretty obvious at the time c4d was the right one for me. having an easy to navigate and intuitive interface made the leap from 2d to 3d pretty painless.

curtis

Mike, I've had some instability with modo when I'm doing certain tasks in the shader tree. No problems whatsoever when I'm modeling.

Good to hear you got the lowered upgrade price on C4D. I'm anxious to see what Luxology does next as well. I guess in an ideal world I'd be an expert in both C4D and modo :)

Don Cheke

Mike A wrote:Hi all,
Anybody using 3D software for visualisation or illustration work? Just wondering what software you use and what your thoughts are.
Mike
Hi Mike,

I think 3D is ideal for illustration, especially if enhanced with Photoshop or incorporated into an Illustrator layout. I use TurboCAD Pro, a precision CAD app, as opposed to 3D modeling software. I just find that doing work in 3D saves so much time in the long run - because you draw it once and it is there for any desired view afterwards. Modifications are usually not too difficult. The only problem that I find is that complexity is limited. Too complex and getting a high quality render is not possible. However, there are some ways around this if one is willing to experiment and possibly assemble rendered component in something like Photoshop, etc.

Here are some examples done with TurboCAD and Photoshop or Illustrator. Click thumbnails to see larger version.

This is my first 'real' infographic (kind of large for a web image, but I had wanted viewers to have a close look):

The infographic says that I am a TurboCAD reseller, but I no longer am. People were coming to my shop to buy tutorials. It wasn't long before I realized that I wasn't going to make anything selling the program itself.

This is an illustration of mine that I have always enjoyed very much:

This is a recent cutaway that I did that I also am pleased with. I created the electric motor with cutaway as a TurboCAD tutorial:

TurboCAD was the first drawing software that I came across when I needed to draw origami illustrations for a book I was writing and I fell in love with it. Since I entered the CAD world I have since seen other programs that I wish I had purchased and learned as well, Modo and C4D at the top of the list. They can produce some mighty fine work.

Just as a side note, since I am new to this forum. I have posted these images just for show, I am not looking for criticism.

Mike A

Don,
While I was vaugely aware of TurboCAD, I'd not seen much, if any, 3D work done in it, so it's interesting to see your images and get your thoughts.

I've yet to find a perfect 3D solution - and I don't really expect to. It's always temping to think the grass is greener on the other side, but more often than not it's got just as many weeds as the patch you're stood on : )

I've always found FormZ to be a very capable and precise modeller - but somewhat unstable and with an interface and learning curve that can make grown men weep... It's definately a love / hate relationship for me.

C4D compliments FormZ well - it's much better on organic models, where FZ is strong on more mechanical hard-surface forms. C4D is also better in the rendering, 'effects' and animation departments. As Glen says - It also has a great community and many useful plugins. Nevertheless I always feel I'm working in a vauge non-precise way when I'm in C4D.

While these two do compliment each other well, I hate having to jump across programmes- making some bits in FZ, some in C4D. That gets messy. 3D export and import is always an error ridden pain in my experience. Hence, in recent times I've tended to do most jobs wholly in C4D.
Last edited by Mike A on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Prendergast

jamesprovost wrote:I've recently started using Cinema 4D, but not long enough to have a strong opinion about it...
What? No more Strata? sketch-up or Bonzai? haha.

JamesProvost

Davvi tipped me off about photoreal renderer for SketchUp that I've been meaning to try.

It's called SU Podium and goes for about $200 http://www.suplugins.com/

Return to “General”