Stevenwhoward

Physical Portfolios

Hey guys,
I'm in a class at AAU where we are learning how to develop our portfolio, market ourselves, and the business end of illustration.
My question is what do you use for your physical portfolio. Do you have a few and who are those geared towards. What type of portfolio is it (leather, binder, etc.). What are some of the expectations clients want to see in the portfolio and if there are different mindsets for different types of companies who wants what. Also, what is the dress code for interviewing and working generally. I figured since most of you have gone through this and at times are still going through this I thought I'd ask to avoid trial and error mistakes that could lead to lossing a potential client.
Thanks.

clint

Re: Physical Portfolios

you are full of good questions.
I haven't used a physical portfolio in years but if I did now I think I would do something nice like having a book put together through a site like smugmug or lulu or something. I used to just use a binder with those plastic sheets you slide your work into, simple.

I've seen some shitty ones with past people I've hired, don't put personal crap in there like some mural you painted in your neighbors rec room.

I don't think I've ever had anyone look at everything I've brought to an interview, so only bring your best.

I always wore at least a sport coat and dress codes have varied from suits (what a nightmare), to business casual to where I'm at now which is shorts and sandals.
My interview for this job was over video conference.

sounds like you are going to a good school. We didn't get prepared for any of that.

JamesProvost

Re: Physical Portfolios

I had a similar class at Sheridan. Here's what I took away from it:
• 10-12 pieces max
• Reasonable size, nothing larger than 11x14
• Present it cleanly, professionally, in a way that complements the work
• Ideally use a binder you can easily swap out work for a specific client, or multiple portfolios
• Start with your strongest, end with your second strongest
• Try to have a rhythm, in terms of subject matter, color/bw, etc.

When I graduated, I bought a 9x12" aluminum screwpost portfolio with 12 removable pages. I tried to get it laser etched, but apparently it's laser proof. (Something about anodization...) Anyways, I was really excited to get out there and get this thing in people's hands.

I've used it twice.

The best portfolio is the one you have with you; you never know who you're going to meet or when. I have my portfolio loaded onto my iPhone, so it goes everywhere I do, and I've pulled it out to show my work countless times. Not that any of this really helps you for your class...

With regards to attire, there's a difference between dressing up and dressing well. You want to dress well. Some combination of dress-y shoe, chinos, dark denim, collared shirt, v-neck sweater and/or sport coat is appropriate for most situations. Nothing faded or ratty! I wore a suit to my first interview and felt like a dork.

Return to “General”