theglenster

reference/inspiration

just thought id point out a hidden away oasis of automotive technical illustration....

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=84751

it has HUGE collection of examples covering pretty much the entire history of technical illustration and is updated every day.

even the great Tony Mathews is a regular contributor offering an amazing insight into his work and career. plus many other professionals adding to the 157 pages of illustration gold.

have fun :)

fiel

Re: reference/inspiration

Amazing! Many thanks, theglenster! :D

Mike A

Seconded! - thanks Glen!
Amazing stuff. Awsome talent.

clint

That stuff is incredible, i'm going to be busy for a while on that link.

Kevin Prendergast

It's funny you posted that link as I came across it no more than 2 months ago looking for inspiration/references for a vehicle cutaway i'm doing myself,Really Good stuff.
Never read it the first time but now that I looked at it again I noticed Hatch was on there. We should also get Tony Matthews to come visit this site, or maybe James or someone could do a little piece on him for the site.

Some Good advice he posted on the forum there.

"One more point about the perspective - a lot depends on the size the piece is reproduced. the smaller the print the more gentle the perspective on the original and vice-versa. Mostly you never know, it might only be used as a pointless little thumb-nail, and/or blown up to 20 feet long. I always tried to find a happy medium, but sometimes I just did what I felt looked good on the board!
Talking of which - board, that is - 20"x30" invariably, sometimes a bit bigger, but that was the standard size of CS2 Water Colour Board.

Return to “General”