jhatch

Re: Old school

I will look for more complex images.
Last edited by jhatch on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theglenster

cool stuff Jim :)

im a traditionaly trained TI, but unfortunatly i comleted my training just at the time computers were starting to be used. my first job was straight away in front of a computer and have only ever made illustrations digitaly and have never made a hande made piece of comersial work :(

at the bigining of my career i lost all motivation and would never even consider having a computer at home to do personal work. but then 3D came along and that all changed! i was very lucky that my employer encouraged it, and as we worked in the auto industry and with good contacts to VW i was making 3d marketing engine cutaways while i was learning 3d!

Hacking stuff apart sounds way more fun than messing with assemblies in solidworks.
yeah thats always a fun part of illustrating. im often invited to tour cleints factories, and get to climb over cars/trucks/machines and learn stuff at the same time :)

i had a washing machine manufactorer client that used to send the actual machine to draw from and they even optermisticly ask for it back in one piece, that never happend :)
Attachments
washing machine.jpg

Don Cheke

theglenster wrote:i had a washing machine manufactorer client that used to send the actual machine to draw from and they even optermisticly ask for it back in one piece, that never happend :)
No doubt about that. :-)

Mike A

Hacking stuff apart sounds way more fun...
I'm the same. Recently my daughters compact camera failed. Throw it in the bin? Not me, I spent hours disassembling it... just for fun ; )
sensor.jpg
Those compact sensors are really small...

bennoS

Hi Clint, I had a motorbike Yamaha XS650se and took the motor apart and spent about 80 hours or maybe 120 measuring, pushing buttons on the calculator, and i can still get sick of the smell of those elips templates.
At some moment i had to stop with my drawing becase i had a blind spot in one eye ( thank god it was temperary ) But i'm proud to have a stickey, smudgie piece of polyester with my own lines.
And now im juggeling and pushing buttons on the computer and abusing Adobe illustrator in the same way i abused my 0,3 mm pencil. Not knowing how to use 3-D software. But to be honest some 3D drawings
are made like photo's , I like to let a drawing be a drawing. Sooner or later i have to make the step to 3D ... but up to now ..... still the old school ;-)
Attachments
2tussenfase.png

jhatch

I did this a long time ago for the Video game Midnight Club II and never posted it anywhere. Although based on the Saleen in the game they needed fictional internals for which I used a model kit to sketch up a V-12..

bennoS

Hi Jim, I really like your drawings. How do you get your info for this kind of work? You must have a hotline with Nissan or are you so wealthy to cut your car apart? :D
I can cut my bike into pieces , but it would never get interesting.

jhatch

bennoS wrote:Hi Jim, I really like your drawings. How do you get your info for this kind of work? You must have a hotline with Nissan or are you so wealthy to cut your car apart? :D
I can cut my bike into pieces , but it would never get interesting.
Hi Benno,

Thanks for the kind words.

If you read my description this piece was strange because it was for a video game so I used a screen shot from the game for the outside of the car and sketched the fictional internals from a 1:18 plastic model kit I made. I think it was a Mercedes in Le Mans trim. That is why it is a bit whimsical.

clint

I had to do that once in college. I did a cutaway of a Ford Lightning from a plastic model.

jhatch

clint wrote:I had to do that once in college. I did a cutaway of a Ford Lightning from a plastic model.
Don't talk about it Clint, Post it!

Return to “General”