Don Cheke

Most Complex Illustration

I am curious to know what other have done that they consider their most complex illustration and how you went about creating it. Did you have an existing model to measure, blueprints to go by or something else. Any other factors you might like to mention. Post an image if you can.

theglenster

Re: Most Complex Illustration

hi Don,

ok ill bite..

http://img.i7m.de/show/7c6ud.jpg

http://img.i7m.de/show/driza.jpg

http://img.i7m.de/show/viz93.jpg

http://img.i7m.de/show/bvrlh.jpg

ive been working on constructing this 300sl for a few years now whenever i get the time.
when the construction is ready, the plan is to make a ghost/cutaway illustration. i will probebly have to make a couple to be able to see all the detail.

i have only used photos that ive found online as reference. ive just checked the reference folder on my computer and its 2gb in size and contains 901 photos!

i still have a few things left to model here and there, when im sure that everything is sitting as it should then the last thing to do is to make sure all the tubeing/wireing is sitting correctly. oh and of course the textureing.

Mike A

That's fantastic Glen. Have you any clue as to how many hours you've spent on that? Modelled in C4D?

theglenster

Mike A wrote:That's fantastic Glen. Have you any clue as to how many hours you've spent on that? Modelled in C4D?
literaly hundreds and hundreds of hours spread over about 5 years. and all modelled in C4D.

i decided from the start to not worry about how long it takes but to focus on getting it as acurate as possible.

Don Cheke

That is simply stunning Glen, so impressive and an obvious labor of love. I admire your patience. Although I am always willing and able to put in the time required for lengthy projects, I much prefer ones that give me a quick creative fix - but it is the ones like yours that are truly master pieces.

A model like your sl300 would not be possible with TurboCAD, sad to say, and I am stunned to hear that it was created in C4D. That is impressive all on its own.

theglenster

thanks for the compliments guys :)
I am stunned to hear that it was created in C4D. That is impressive all on its own.
can you explain a little why?

ive always been more interested in the construction side of tech ill rather than making the final illustration. im at my happiest when i can construct a gear box from a pile of engineering drawings to make line drawing :)

Don Cheke

theglenster wrote: can you explain a little why?
Only because your model is so complex and the price of C4D does not seem outrageous. I just assumed that if one wanted to create such complex 3D objects in CAD one would need something like Catia or other high end app.

As an aside, Maxon has several products - which version do you have and what does one need to benefit from all features, including rendering? I see they have Prime, Broadcast, Visualize and Studio. Is Body Paint what is used for rendering.

theglenster

Only because your model is so complex and the price of C4D does not seem outrageous. I just assumed that if one wanted to create such complex 3D objects in CAD one would need something like Catia or other high end app
you can create very complex models with any of the ploygon modeling aplications out there, even the free blender.
the only advantage nurbs has over polygons is the acuracy and things like beveling and chamfers which can be a nightmare!
but then there are a few cheaper options than CAD software such as Rhino and Moi. useing catia to model is like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

bodypaint is actualy now the industry standard for unwrapping geometry and painting directly onto the model. it has nothing to do with rendering, and it is also comes free even with the cheepest option. but ive never used it in any technical illustrations, its mainly for organic stuff.
Last edited by theglenster on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Cheke

Thanks again Glen for the insight into nurbs and polygons and the detail about C4D.

Mike A

No where near the league of Glens' work, but this was a job that proved quite complex...
TramBody.jpg
Not because it's a particularly complex model, but mainly because it was being designed (for a proposal) at the same time I was visualising it. I was working from sketches, and rough physical models (for the cab shape for example). In this situation you almost end up designing the thing yourself. The data you have is rough - and the data you need has to be precise - so that the 3D model can be built.

I think the basic design was revised about half a dozen times as I worked on it...

This was built using FormZ and some C4D if I recall correctly.

Return to “General”