alanp

Software Certifications

Hi, I'm Alan and new to the forums. I was wondering if anyone here gets certified in the primary programs they use.

I think for a staff illustrator it means you can demand more pay, and it does come up in some interviews. In the case of a freelancer I'd think you put something on your site about it to help sell yourself. And of course if you teach software it would be necessary.

I was meaning to get certified in AI CS4, but it may be too late for that now or will be soon. I haven't looked to see if testing for CS5 is available yet and haven't been using it.

The company I work for makes software as well as hardware, and I sometimes work on our own course manuals which is always a reminder about how some view certification.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing what others do.
Last edited by alanp on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Cheke

Re: Software Certifications

I don't have 'certification' in any software that I use. Not having certification has not been an issue, but not having a recognized diploma in fields, such as CAD/CAM, Marketing and Business Administration has. The latter is what I see employers are looking for. It I were starting over I would be sure to get a good post secondary education base in my desired field and I would only get certification for software if it was required at some point, say I needed it to teach.

As for freelancing, I don't think anybody cares if you are certified. As long as you have a great portfolio and a decent client list that will speak volumes on its own and that will determine whether a firm will even consider you.

Of course, the above is strictly my opinion and others more involved in the world at large may find it a must.

clint

Certification only makes sense to me if you are going to teach Adobe Illustrator. I can't imagine any of my previous or past employers giving me more money because of it, no one ever asked about it. If they can see I do good work in my portfolio, that's all they care about. It seems kind of limiting to me when I think about it, that you are focusing all your time and efforts on one program. It's just one tool. I doubt the old pros ever cared about getting certified in using an airbrush. Your focus should always be on quality work not on bragging about what an expert you are, which I think is essentially what certification means.

alanp

Thanks for your opinions. Sounds like maybe certification would be a waste of time and money then. I was asked about it when interviewing for my current job.

Mike A

I'll chip in here - as I am certified (!) : )

...certified as an Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) in Photoshop and Illustrator.

The reason being that I spend a proportion of my time training, and it's a requirement in order for me to deliver training as part of an accredited 'Adobe Authorised Training Centre' (AATC). Apart from that, having the Adobe logo / certification badge on my business card is an important 'sales tool' for me when I'm selling my training services direct to corporate clients outside of the AATC environment.

There are a few 'corporate' type users who do like their internal design staff to have ACE certifications, but I'd very much agree that as a freelancer your portfolio is king - and your essential calling card.

I'f you're looking to get started on a graphic / design / illustration career as an employee (as opposed to a freelancer) then you'll need a base degree level design / illustration education to get on the first rung of the ladder in any decent sized company.

If you want to start work freelancing as a designer / illustrator, then all you have to do is do it : ) Once you've got a few portfolio pieces to show you'll be up and running. Your success will then depend on the quality and consistency of work you produce - and the service, timekeeping and reliability you deliver. Simple as that.

Mike

Return to “General”