Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tips on starting out

@Stevenwhoward It really depends who you're working for. My clients, mostly in publishing and advertising, very rarely want my working files. Just print-ready PDFs regardless of how I created them.

If you put the work you want to do in your portfolio, that's the kind of work you'll get. So if you want 2D work, show 2D work!

Don Cheke

bwal wrote:It seems that getting the right photo, at the right angle, etc. would be time consuming in itself.
This is one thing that I always have found and so I am more apt to create from scratch than I am to spend the time searching for something just right. I usually just create most things in 3D and then I can manipulate the view to anything that suits the current need. This helps too when clients want to see different points of view - a few mouse moves and new point of view is created.

I am new to this forum today and I have just been poking around some of the threads. I found this particular one interestings as I have always been under the impression that tracing could be construed as copyright infringement. But I guess if done only in the most general way (as a guide of sorts) then maybe it is fine. I know that I have had to do this on occasion when something has elluded me.

On a side note: I recognized some of the work of the people who are members here when I have done Google image searches for Techinical Illustration inspiration. Lots of great stuff out there. I personally do all kinds of work, but technical Illustration is where my heart is.

tonylinka

Here's some great advice: http://pbeachtips.blogspot.com/

jhatch

tonylinka wrote:Here's some great advice: http://pbeachtips.blogspot.com/
I read that entire thing and it is really fascinating like a direct insight into that guy's entire career path. I think most people that have been around a long time will have a different story but still very interesting.

matt_lorenzi

I don't see how tracing is an issue if the final product is an illustration. There is a reason a client wants an illustration vs. a photograph, otherwise there would be no work for people like us.

Think of the detail you can provide in an illustration vs a scan or poor photograph. Then think of the versatility you have with said illustration; you can change colours, make cutaways, morph, tweak, etc...

I imagine often the reason an illustration is required instead of a photograph is for the added level of detail needed, or the "what's underneath" look. So go ahead, trace the guts then use your magic to take it to the next level.

Return to “General”