Stevenwhoward

Re: New Work

Mike,
Nice work. I always appreciate seeing varied line weight.
There is one thing that caught my eye though: why, on the back tire, did you not continue the thick outline all around (between the gear and chain looks odd to me not having the same lineweight consistency as the rest of the tire)? I sort of felt the same about the inner frame of the seat or the rear framework. It might just be me, but that's what I might fix. Otherwise, great work.

Thanks for posting! I'd love to post up what I've been working on, but due to the nature of most of my illustrations there is little likely-hood that I'll ever be able to share. My plan is to share the work I have been doing on the War of the Worlds project when I get to start back up on it late this summer.

Mike A

Steven,
I think you're right. I don't do a lot of line work (not that anyone would have guessed :lol: ), and I found this quite tricky with regard to a heavier outline. Running a heavy line on all external edges is too heavy, but I think your suggested route of an outline on all areas of the frame, as well as correcting that error on the tyre above the chain, would work. I'll try it.

** Follow up:

Revised version uploaded - see original post. Now with the frame fully outlined. I decided to use an intermediate (2x) line width on the inside of the seat frame, crank arm and pedal. A full x3 outline seemed too heavy.

I bow in admiration to the masters of this art... :)

Still open to further comments, suggestions, critique...
Last edited by Mike A on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Cheke

Great job on the bike, Mike!

Stevenwhoward

Nice work, Mike. This definitely works better!

Mike A

Thanks Guys - I appreciate the help and encouragement!

matt_lorenzi

This is an interesting discussion about line weight, I won't highjack the thread, but when would you consider different thicknesses of line weight?
My thoughts, if the object is small, let's say a hand-held sized item, there's not much gained in having thicker lines. As the object becomes bigger and the viewing distance further away, varying the line weight can help define "closer" items and items that carry more weight (no pun intended). What are other peoples thoughts?

jhatch

matt_lorenzi wrote:This is an interesting discussion about line weight, I won't highjack the thread, but when would you consider different thicknesses of line weight?
My thoughts, if the object is small, let's say a hand-held sized item, there's not much gained in having thicker lines. As the object becomes bigger and the viewing distance further away, varying the line weight can help define "closer" items and items that carry more weight (no pun intended). What are other peoples thoughts?
Hey Matt,

Interesting question. I tend to use line weight to define shapes in any given item regardless of size. The Japanese automotive line work artists set the tone for the style I use as well as many other known illustrators. I learned by studying others and you can pick up how and why a set of line weights is used. Some of my various styles: http://hatchillustrations.com/Technical ... s-Line-Art

I hope this helps a little,

Jim

clint

I agree with Jim, I never thought the size of the object had much to do with line weight. I pretty much apply the same principal to everything, the more space there is behind a line the thicker it gets. The stroke around an object would be the thickest and say the bend on a curve being the thinnest. Personally I think line weight is super important to a good drawing.

Don Cheke

I did this shock 'illustration' after seeing the one posted on Jim's website. I created this one as a 3D model in TurboCAD and tweaked just a bit in Photoshop.
Attachments
Straight Shock DBC_1200.jpg

jhatch

Don Cheke wrote:I did this shock 'illustration' after seeing the one posted on Jim's website. I created this one as a 3D model in TurboCAD and tweaked just a bit in Photoshop.

Hi Don, That is really cool!
You 3d guys scare me you are going to take over the world!

Jim

Return to “General”