Don Cheke

Re: New Work

jhatch wrote:
Don Cheke wrote:I did this shock 'illustration' after seeing the one posted on Jim's website. I created this one as a 3D model in TurboCAD and tweaked just a bit in Photoshop.
Hi Don, That is really cool!
You 3d guys scare me you are going to take over the world!

Jim
I think you are safe Jim. Your work is amazing and I think there will always be a need for your kind of talent and style of illustration.

I also posted the image on the TurboCAD forum along with the comment below. Hope you don't mind me discussing you and your work there. Just in case you are not familiar with HDR, HDR = High Dynamic Range. These are images used, mainly, to determine lighting and reflections in the renders. They can really help make a render richer.

I created this shock after seeing one of Jim Hatch's shock illustrations. Jim is a well known 2D illustrator. I wondered if I could mimic it to some degree in TurboCAD. In some ways we are more limited in what we can do in 3D as much of what we get is limited to what we have in the way of HDR images and the like. One way we are not as limited as the 2D illustrator is we can change views easily while they have to redraw completely. Good thing there is room for both 2D & 3D formats. I tweaked my TC render just a bit in PS.

I sure like the work Jim does. His shock should show under this link, scroll down just a bit to his straight shock:
http://www.hatchillustrations.com/Lexus ... ustrations

jhatch

Hi Don,

Thanks for all the kind words, mentions and links, I really appreciate that! The Shock looks really great.

Best,

Jim

JamesProvost

Here are a few shots of a project from last summer. I did 226 illustrations in total for The Homeowner's Energy Handbook, a DIY guide to reducing your energy usage and becoming energy-independent.

It was a busy few months!
Attachments
IMG_5427.jpg
IMG_5425.jpg
IMG_5429.jpg

Don Cheke

jamesprovost wrote:Here are a few shots of a project from last summer. I did 226 illustrations in total for The Homeowner's Energy Handbook, a DIY guide to reducing your energy usage and becoming energy-independent.

What a great project James. I bet that was a lot of fun. Hopefully you had enough time to enjoy the process (i.e. not too rushed). The illustrations in your attachments look wonderful.

clint

jamesprovost wrote:Here are a few shots of a project from last summer. I did 226 illustrations in total for The Homeowner's Energy Handbook, a DIY guide to reducing your energy usage and becoming energy-independent.

Very cool, nice work!

Mike A

Nice looking work James - good use of the two colours and a very consistent 'James Provost' line style throughout :)
What sort of reference material did they supply - or was the research / reference in your hands?

jhatch

Great Work james! What a huge amount of work.

Mike A

Something slightly different:
An animated infographic that I produced for a photography course I was teaching a little while ago. 2.5 mins, no audio. It introduces the concept of f-numbers. It's designed to be read - so it's fairly slow paced. As James mentioned in an iPad related post a few months ago - you would think there should be an increasing market for this sort of animated / motion graphics work - but of course cost is likely to be an issue. Produced in After Effects.

http://vimeo.com/user15988698/f-number

Mike

Don Cheke

Mike A wrote:Something slightly different:
An animated infographic that I produced for a photography course I was teaching a little while ago. 2.5 mins, no audio. It introduces the concept of f-numbers. It's designed to be read - so it's fairly slow paced. As James mentioned in an iPad related post a few months ago - you would think there should be an increasing market for this sort of animated / motion graphics work - but of course cost is likely to be an issue. Produced in After Effects.

http://vimeo.com/user15988698/f-number

Mike
Nice job on the video Mike.

Mike A

Thanks Don.
The original version had a somewhat more amusing (scary) end. Not suitable for corporate consumption - but as I'm among friends...

http://vantagegraphics.co.uk/POTW/MGMSignOff.mov

:roll:

Return to “General”