Kevin Prendergast

Re: New Work

jhatch wrote:I work in Photoshop and Illustrator on a Mac with a Wacom tablet, I have never heard of a light brush.
It's basically a photograph made into a brush..
You've probably come across something similar before
example:

I find it hard to manipulate properly using it as a brush stroke though. Are yours created the hard way?

jhatch

Not exactly Technical Illustration but still a very cool client and it somewhat relates: http://www.hatchillustrations.com/In-N- ... -Shirt-Art

Any In-N-Out Burger fans?
Last edited by jhatch on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Admin
Site Admin

Slick stuff, Jim!

bennoS

Hi Jim, just sent you a mail with my complements about the colouring of your artwork.
I tried to use a wacom tablet for a very short period but i could'nt get used to the fact that my cursor was jumping all arround the place. I could not get it tuned right.

a tablet to get Waco

Is it a necessary tool pice?

Stevenwhoward

@BennOS
Is a Wacom or any other tablet a necessary tool?
Personally (as I've not worked as a technical illustrator anywhere near as long as the talented artists on this site have), I don't think a tablet is necessary for the majority of what technical illustrators use. However, it is a very nice tool to have and in some respects speeds up or eases the work process when working digitally. For programs like Photoshop I don't know how one could work without a tablet (using a mouse- or worse yet, a touch pad!- is like painting/drawing with a brick). For Illustrator and similar programs or 3D (can't say too much for that as I don't use 3D software) a tablet isn't necessary at all. I find though, that it speeds up my process and is easier on my hand at times. I have the Wacom Cintiq 21UX (the giant screen you can draw on). I use both the mouse and the pen back and forth. Using the tablet pen on the Cintiq I have more accuracy allowing me to hit the exact place where I want to put a point using the Illustrator pen tool, while I sometimes will switch to the mouse just to change things up a bit or sit back and observe more of the work that way (even though I can zoom in and out without having to do this).
Honestly, for vector and 3D work I don't think a tablet is necessary and I've known artists who have done wonderful works fine without one. Some are old school like that (the most hard core old school person I can think of is Stephen Biesty who doesn't use digital as far as I know and doesn't even use templates or rulers- but he pulls it off just fine). If you want a more "natural feel" or a nice fancy art toy for convenience and fun and also feel as if it would save you time or trouble then I'd go for one. But to answer your question I would definitely say it isn't all that necessary.

Stevenwhoward

also, if you're having trouble getting the pen curser on screen to match up what you are drawing on the tablet pad- you need to go into the tablet's user preferences on the computer and align and troubleshoot the tablet. "tuning" the tablet usually isn't to difficult- if it still doesn't respond I'd try reinstalling the tablet or updating the software online. Sometimes certain computers have issues and Wacom and other tablet makers create updates to try and counter these issues (at least that has been my case in the past).

bennoS

Hey Steven,
Thanks for your comment. You described the mouse feeling well, A Brick scraping over the table!
So i will take your advice. Thanks!

Benno

Cutaway King

Hi Jim,

Just wanted to say fantastic work you have done there, I look forward to looking through the forum at your other pieces.

Darren
Physical and illustrated cutaways - www.cutawaycreation.com

jhatch

One of my Illustrations was recently used on the cover of a College text book. Reading through the book I am glad I don't have to go back to college! http://www.hatchillustrations.com/Honda ... lustration
Last edited by jhatch on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Admin
Site Admin

Lookin good, as always!

Return to “General”