Mike A

Re: Illustrator Output from MoI

Don kindly allowed me to use his model to try a the same output in Rhino - using the 'make2D' command which can then be exported to ai. Illustrator screenshot attached.

Similar, but not identical, results in terms of the path construction as you might expect. As per MOI the output does use curved bezier segments - not just a series of polylines, which is good. The path / shape construction isn't great if you're looking for a closed path and filled shape construction in ai - but it would serve as a reasonable base for further work.

One thing that I did discuss with Don was the need for a specified camera position in case additional elements needed to be output from the same viewpoint later. While this is available in Rhino v5, it's not it standard function in MOI - although Don thought it may be available as a third party script.
Attachments
ToyTruck_Rhino5.JPG

Don Cheke

Mike A wrote:One thing that I did discuss with Don was the need for a specified camera position in case additional elements needed to be output from the same viewpoint later. While this is available in Rhino v5, it's not it standard function in MOI - although Don thought it may be available as a third party script.
I checked further into what I thought might be a script to create named views in MoI. Turns out someone had devised a custom user interface which included creating views that can be returned to, but the views are not stored after the file/program is closed, so really not that useful. We'll have to wait for the developer of MoI to work this into the program, which he said he has planned for the future.

An interesting note is Michael Gibson, the creator of MoI, was instrumental in the development of Rhino, so it is easy to see why so much is similar between the two programs. I have not used Rhino myself, but when I was learning MoI I utilized some Rhino tutorials to help me along.

Don Cheke

Michael Gibson just supplied an update view angle dialogue that shows camera position and target position. So although it does not save a named view a user can copy this data to a text file and reenter that data in the future to get that same view established. It works great. Link to thread: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6962.13

Mike A

Don,
Thanks for following this up - that certainly looks a workable solution.

Return to “General”